[Crew] A thought experiment

Mark Gilbert mark.gilbert at psiphy.com
Mon Nov 24 18:41:22 GMT 2008

1. I should imagine there are. I believe one way of protecting Œfree speech¹
is to hide the IP addresses of the servers that hold the data, but you do
have the problem that a routing system can be considered to hold part of the
data (this maybe insurmountable, but I guess)

2. Wherever Buddhism is the prevailing ethos (maybe best of all evils) and
guides policy. As all land has been claimed by nation states, the best but
difficult course would be either to; build a new land mass (buy a second
hand oil rig and move it to international waters) or a submarine/ship, then
install a fiber trunk (or other high bandwidth option). Claim sovereignty
and ask for recognised protection under the Œlaws of war¹ which tries to
maintain a pseudo status-quo by denying the right of a sovereign to invade
another for control. This of course is circumvented on occasions by clever
politics.

3. My opinion is the only ethics that should apply are; Protection of the
system, Promotion of non-censorship (restricting access) of the system by
highlighting hypocrisy and arrogance and TOTAL free speech with protection
of offline identity. Free Speech should be totally free without censorship
against those ideas I find abhorrent, even if they are about myself or are
opinion. We should not censor against lies. It should be made clear that
online identity (defined also by opinion made) should be kept divorced from
offline identity by the system and by the users themselves.

No system is a closed system, but some areas contain dragons and our dragons
are protected from those dragons, not by walls, but by hills.