[Crew] Ironkey

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Nov 3 19:09:03 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Ade <adrian.bradshaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it really self-destruct?

Ah do Ade long time no see.

My old boss used to develop arcade machines and fruit machines back in
the early days of arcades and they used to to embed the processor and
an eprom in epoxy wrapped in wires with a battery and he considered it
almost impossible for the pirates to get into the packaging to read
the eprom without triggering the self destruct.

He was a pretty clever bloke and one of the first cases involving the
illegal copying of software was when a company couldn't decode his
encryption enough to remove his copyright messages in the code.  The
mad thing is the majority of the code was copied from a japanese
arcade ROM and all he did was change a few things and encrypt it so it
wasn't really his to begin with.

One of the ones we found in the office was marked copyright 1981 and
it self destructed after all that time when we (my boss and me he
would have wanted my left nut if I'd attempted it on my own) attempted
to read it electronically so he could show me the self modifying code
so we grinded it open so he could show me the electronics instead.

Shame he was a complete cunt or I'd have still been there it was fun
working with a proper old school hacker.

sparkes

--
Steve 'sparkes' Parkes - blog zx-81.com