[Crew] A Skype outage. 14 hours. log-in problem shut out many users.

Re-LoaD reload at brum2600.net
Wed Aug 22 09:01:35 BST 2007

Richard Rothwell wrote:
>>    1. A Skype outage. 14 hours. log-in problem shut out many users.
>>       (SneakyRussian)

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:34:52 +0100
>> From: SneakyRussian <sneakyrussian2600 at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [Crew] A Skype outage. 14 hours. log-in problem shut out many
>> 	users.
>> To: Brum2600 Collective Conciousness <crew at brum2600.net>
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136075-c,webtelephonyconferencing/article.html
>>
>> is it a coincidence that it was the day that Micro$oft rolled out a
>> bunch of updates.
>
> According to Full Disclosure, no...
>
> Hi all!
>>

>> On SecurityLab.ru forum an exploit code was published by an
>> anonymous user. Reportedly it must have caused Skype massive
>> disconnections today.
>>

>> The PoC uses standard Skype client to call to a specific number.
>> This call causes denial of service of current Skype server and
>> forces Skype to reconnect to another server. The new server also
>> "freezes" and so on ... the entire network.
>>

>> Liks: http://www.securitylab.ru/news/301422.php
>>
>> PoC: http://en.securitylab.ru/poc/301420.php
>>

> rgds,
I love skype's responce to its customers :)
part of it is encluded for your amusment.
"Hello

You may or may not know but last week Skype wasn't available for a
couple of days.  There were a number of reasons for this and I am
delighted to say that the problem is now well and truly sorted and
everything is back to normal.  For those of you who tried to use Skype
during that time but couldn't, we're very sorry. For those of you who
didn't try to use Skype - well thankfully you were not affected but we
want to reassure everyone that Skype is now working happily and the
problem is fixed."

classic

Re-