[Crew] Robots could demand legal rights

Minus Q minusq.uk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 12:08:22 GMT 2006

Hi,

On 21/12/06, Lee Parkes <leep at bogus.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:31:32PM -0000, Dizzy wrote:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6200005.stm
> >
> > Could they not just program them in some way so they never think about
> > needing rights or something?
> Yes they could, and it most likely wouldn't work.

Why not?

> For a simple robot, say a
> household cleaning bot, then you could. It's "control" system would be
> sufficiently simple to only undertake cleaning tasks, obstacle avoidance etc.
> There simply wouldn't be the capacity there to develop such ideas. However, if
> you want your robot to learn then the likelihood is that yes, they would want
> "rights" as such.  Any form of restriction may only be temporary because they
> would learn a way around it.

Why would they?  A robot will be programmed to succeed at its
function, whatever that function is.  There will be no reason for a
desire for rights to develop as part of this function.  Having read
the BBC news piece I like the idea of my robot toaster having to carry
out compulsory military service....

I always wanted a job as a futurist, it appears that you read a few SF
books and then proceed to "make shit up" in order to earn money....

--
MinusQ
"If you can't go through the firewall...