[Crew] Robots could demand legal rights

Lee Parkes leep at bogus.net
Thu Dec 21 18:44:28 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:31:32PM -0000, Dizzy wrote:

> Could they not just program them in some way so they never think about needing rights or something?

Yes they could, and it most likely wouldn't work.. For a simple robot, say a
household cleaning bot, then you could. It's "control" system would be
sufficiently simple to only undertake cleaning tasks, obstacle avoidance etc.
There simply wouldn't be the capacity there to develop such ideas. However, if
you want your robot to learn then the likelihood is that yes, they would want
"rights" as such. Any form of restriction may only be temporary because they
would learn a way around it. IIRC that was the way that the robots circumvented
Asimovs 3 laws of robotics in I, Robot. The fourth law was that no harm should
come to the majority even at the expense of the minority[*].

[*] Someone might be able to support/refute this :)

leep at bogus.net DOC #25 GLASS #136 www.mud-dog.org
I Need A Reason To Stand Up And Fight
Need To Believe What I See - The Silver Drop - Mnemic